Sell Mineral Rights Owned by a Trust

We buy oil and gas royalties and mineral rights owned by both family and institutional trusts.

Donate Your Mineral Rights

Why Trusts Liquidate Mineral Rights

Invariably, there comes a time when trusts must liquidate the assets and distribute the proceeds to the beneficiaries. This usually happens when the trustee passes away, but can also happen for estate (and eldercare) planning reasons, or because the mineral rights need to be sold while they still hold value.

These are some of the reasons mineral rights are liquidated from trusts:

  • The Trustee passed away so the assets must be sold and the proceeds distributed to the beneficiaries
  • Mineral rights are too small to logically be distributed among beneficiaries
  • Estate planning and elder care purposes
  • Mineral rights are not producing much, and it’s better to sell before they stop producing
  • The trust assets do not produce enough income to support the trust management fees

Two Ways for Trusts to Liquidate Mineral Rights


Donate Mineral Rights

Not all mineral rights have significant value. The value of mineral rights depends on 7 factors, and it can be difficult to sell low-value minerals. Rather than spending weeks or months trying to get an minimal offer, you can donate these minerals. We accept donations of hard-to-sell mineral rights, including small (or even tiny) minerals, non-producing minerals, minimally producing minerals, mineral rights in unproductive areas, minerals with title issues, and more.

Sell Mineral Rights

Blue Mesa Minerals buys oil and gas mineral rights throughout the United States. We would be happy to evaluate the trust’s mineral rights and potentially extend an offer. We aim to provide a turn-key solution to acquire mineral rights with minimal effort on your part. We work with individuals, family and institutional trusts, and non-profits to liquidate their mineral rights. We are not brokers or flippers, so we keep what we buy.

How to Sell to Blue Mesa Minerals

Blue Mesa Minerals would be happy to make an offer and acquire your mineral rights. We purchase mineral rights from individuals and trusts, but also accept donations of non-producing, minimally-producing, and low-value mineral rights and even those with title issues) that are nearly impossible to sell. Mineral management can be a time and money sink. We can take most mineral rights off your hands in a timely manner.

Our 4-Step Process

We would be delighted to acquire mineral rights owned by individuals or trusts.

The only types of mineral right we do not accept are Working Interests (WI) and those with too high of a debt burden (tax lien, mortgage, etc).

We don’t mind putting in the work to research your minerals, draft deeds, pay the recording fees, and transfer the ownership. We do this every day and welcome each new property into our portfolio (we don’t flip minerals).

1. Request an Offer

Request an offer.  We we’ll be happy to evaluate your mineral rights and present you with an offer.


2. Submit Supporting Documents

Send us the last few months of royalty statements and any supporting documents (leases, deeds, division orders etc.).

3. Review and Accept Offer

We will review and appraise your mineral rights and provide you with a competitive offer.


4. Sign Deed and Receive Payment

Once we agree on a price, a closing date will be scheduled. You will sign and notarize the document. When we receive the paperwork, we will immediately wire the funds.

Types of Mineral Rights That We Acquire

We accept donations of mineral interest (MI), royalty interest (RI), non-participating royalty interest (NPRI), or overriding royalty interest (ORRI).

Mineral Interest (MI)

Mineral Interest owners have the right to explore, develop, and produce the minerals below the surface of a tract of land, including the right to enter into a lease.

Royalty Interest (RI)

Royalty Interest includes the right to receive revenue from well production, without the obligation to pay for drilling, operating, or plugging expenses.

Non-Participating Royalty Interest (NPRI)

Non-Participating Royalty Interest (NPRI) includes rights to oil and gas production revenue but no rights to enter into a lease.

Overriding Royalty Interest (ORRI)

Overriding Royalty Interest is an interest in the proceeds from the sale of minerals rather than an interest in the actual minerals. ORRIs are also called overrides.

When to Sell or Donate Mineral Rights

Should I sell or donate my mineral rights before or after I pass away?

Mineral rights can be donated before or after your pass away. While many mineral owners like the idea of passing their mineral rights to the next generation, the cost of transferring the ownership can cost more than the minerals are worth.

If you own small mineral rights (earning less than $3,000 in royalty revenue per year), it is best to donate, sell, or pass your minerals while there is still value. Smaller mineral rights are difficult to sell and can complicate your estate and future assisted living plans.

In many cases, “real property” can only be transferred by deed from a living person, or court order (such as probate). If the mineral owner dies in a state other than where the minerals are located, the heirs will probably have to open probate where they died and file ancillary probate in each state and county where the mineral rights are located. This can be an expensive and time-consuming process.

In many cases, it may be better to sell or donate your mineral rights before you pass away.

What Documentation is Needed?


In order to donate your mineral rights, you need documentation about the minerals. Most organizations that accept donations of mineral rights have a special land management team that knows how to figure out what you own and can prepare the deed. The most helpful documentation includes royalty statements, property deeds, probate documents, oil and gas leases, and tax bills.

Any of the following documents can help us figure out what you own and how to properly draft the deed:

  • Royalty Statement
  • Mineral Deeds
  • Oil & Gas Leases
  • Probate Documents
  • Ad Valorem Tax Bills

Don’t have documentation? Don’t worry – we can help you get the necessary documents (or we can work around it).